Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Old School vs. Oldfashion

So at my house, I have a closet dedicated to movies and at least 100 of the movies fall in the horror section. Since my childhood I have been a fan of watching a horror movie which not only got me during the movie but played with my imagination long after the movie was over.

The best of these was when I was elementary school... the original When a Stranger Calls. Watching it with my childhood best friend, Aaron (he lived three houses down the street); my friends that were spending the night; and my parents. Half-way through the movie the doorbell rings and Kara (who lived next door to Aaron and was in middle school) was there. Kara said she was home alone and a car had been circling the block, she was scared, and wanted to stay at our house until her parents came home. In my entire childhood - not once did this ever happen until this night. This movie had me so scared that when I put the children that I babysit asleep I would sit and watch them sleep from the hallway to make sure no creepy man would be in their bedroom eating them and then begin prank calling me.

More than any other movie that stayed with me. Recently I watched the original slasher film, a Canadian film called Black Christmas. For 70's is was amazing and still today it was really enjoyable and scary. At least scary enough that I wanted to have someone stay the night but instead brave the night alone. Throw-backs to the 70's and 80's horror movies are my favorite.

Then I watched Paranormal Activity - I watched it in daylight since some made a big deal about it. I think it would have been better had the movie been cut 3 minutes sooner. The ending just made it a Hollywood film trying to look homemade. If you’re trying the old fashion home movie technique take a page from the Blair Witch (would make my Top 10 horror list) because it left you wondering and never showed too much. Then you add their marketing when it first came out. Let's just say camping alone in the woods became scarier after the Blair Witch.

So tonight as the weather starts to turn to Spring take advantage of the dark night, breeze in the air, and watch a 80's classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment